History of Planeview
Planeview was built at the height of World War II as a government “defense community” to house the influx of people coming to work at the nearby Boeing aircraft plant. This “instant city,” built on 500 acres just outside Wichita, was, at one point, the seventh largest city in Kansas with a population of 20,000. Newspaper and magazine articles nicknamed it Miracle City and called it a melting pot. People from 42 states lived Planeview. It had its own post office, shopping center, grocery stores, schools, churches, recreation activities, fire department and police department.
Much of Planeview was meant to be temporary housing that could be moved or torn down once no longer needed. After the war, some of Planeview’s houses were demolished or moved away as the federal government had promised. But many people had come to love their homes and were allowed to buy them.
In November 1955, Planeview formally became a part of the City of Wichita. The area is located from Pawnee to 31st Street South and Hillside to Oliver.
Today, there are approximately 4,400 residents in Planeview that comprise around 1, 305 households:
- 29% of those households exist on less than $15, 000 gross income a year
- Similar to the 1940’s, Planeview still remains diverse today by having 53% Hispanic, 22% Caucasian, 14% Asian, and 7% African Americans living in the community
- 36% of Planeview residents were born outside the United States
- 42% of Planeview residents are under the age of 19 and 34% are under the age of 14
- 51% of Planeview residents over the age of 25 have less than a high school education
- 97% of the students at Colvin Elementary qualify for free or reduced lunches