I will begin my writing next week but this week I wanted you to know what I have been reading during my month-long sabbatical in July. Every once in a while people ask me about my reading list. I love to read but find that I have to be reading several books at a time. Perhaps I have ADD. But without further ado, enjoy my summer reading list!
- Time magazine. Even though the print is getting smaller, I find the content to be helpful.
- People magazine. Even though this periodical borders on sensational journalism, it is helpful to read what a large segment of our population finds interesting.
- The Bible Today. This is a quarterly publication which features the latest scholarship on a particular theme in Scripture. The current issue is focused on the mercy of God. One of the regular contributors is a nun from Atchison, Kansas.
- Plough, a quarterly magazine produced by the Bruderhof community. They live in community and renounce private ownership. They provide excellent commentary on culture and how Jesus speaks to the issues of our day.
- The Christian Century, a weekly publication committed to thinking critically and living faithfully.
- Sojourners: Faith in Action for Social Justice, a monthly publication which seeks to show the bridge between personal and social holiness.
Books (in random order):
- Love, Henri: Letters on the Spiritual Life by Henri J.M. Nouwen
- Self to Lose – Self to Find by Marilyn Vancil
- Hacking Leadership: The 11 Gaps Every Business Needs to Close and the Secrets to Closing Them Quickly
by Mike Myatt
- An Unhurried Life: Following Jesus’ Rhythms of Work and Rest by Alan Fading
- The Good and Beautiful Life – Putting on the Character of Christ by James Bryan Smith
- Whole Life Transformation – Becoming the Change Your Church Needs by Keith Meyer
- The Enneagram Unveiled: A Christian and Metaphysical Perspective by Thomas Garrett Isham
- How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist by Andrew Newberg, M.D.
- The Lord Is My Shepherd: Healing Wisdom of the Twenty-third Psalm by Rabbi Harold Kushner
- Ten Prayers That Changed the World: Extraordinary Stories of Faith That Shaped the Course of History by Jean-Pierre Isbouts
- Leading with a Limp: Take Full Advantage of Your Most Powerful Weakness by Dan Allender
- Days Of Awe And Wonder: How To Be A Christian In The Twenty-First Century by Marcus Borg
- The Great Famine and the Irish Diaspora in America by Arthur Gribben
- The Waiting Father: Sermons on the Parables of Jesus by Helmut Thielicke
- Your Best Life In Jesus’ Easy Yoke: Rhythms of Grace to De-Stress and Live Empowered by Bill Gaultiere, Ph.D.
Let me know if you have any questions about any of these reading materials. Next week, I will be back to writing.
Rev. Jeff Gannon