By Rev. Jeff Gannon
Every once in a while, somebody will ask me what I have been reading. I read about 10 to 15 different things at a time. I do that because I want to expose myself to a variety of authors, genres, topics, etc.
Here is my current reading list….(books and magazines)
- The Week – a weekly periodical that scans the newspapers and magazines of the world and provides the best of the best news and editorials.
- Leadership – a quarterly journal written to explore the themes of Leadership within the local church. Excellently written articles about parish life and best practices.
- America – a Jesuit magazine produced weekly by the ones who produced Pope Francis. The Jesuits are the intellectuals of the Roman Catholic Church and take great pride in exploring how Christianity is impacting and impacted by current events.
- The Yamas and Niyamas – Exploring Yoga’s Ethical Practice by Deborah Adele. This book is really a devotional guide with amazing spiritual depth.
- No More Mr. Nice Guy – Dr. Robert Glover. This explores how men can be tender warriors or to genuinely claim masculinity.
- Making Sense of the Bible by Adam Hamilton. This book reflects Adam’s gift of making serious study of the Scripture accessible to those who have not been to seminary. If you are wanting to go deeper with the Bible, this book is for you!
- God and the Gay Christian by Wichitan Matthew Vines. Matthew shares his deep study of the Scriptural passages that relate to the issue of homosexuality. Matthew is a deeply devoted follower of Jesus and this book is very thought provoking.
- Eight to Great by M.K. Mueller. A pastor friend of mine recommended this book. The author is from Omaha and wrote this book as a means of helping persons grow through the tough times and not just go through the tough times. I have found this book to be extraordinarily biblical in the recommended practices and principles.
- The Bible for Today – this is a bi-monthly publication which contains the latest biblical scholarship. The compiler/editor is a Roman Catholic priest, Donald Senior. I find this publication to be extraordinary in deepening my understanding and application of Sacred Scripture.
- A must read website. Rev. Ron Rolheiser (www.ronrolheiser.com). He is the president of a seminary in San Antonio and is extremely profound.
There are others I will save for the next time.
On a humorous note…I also read Consumer’s Report and Men’s Health. My OCD tendencies come out when it comes to making a major purchase. 🙂